

Part IV: The Writing on the Wall
There sure are a lot of inscriptions everywhere at Harvard. I think I should examine some of it more closely.
"And thou shalt teach them ordinances and laws and shalt shew them the way where they must walk and the work that they must do." This quote can be found on the outside of Austin Hall, the first Law School building on campus. Can't really disagree with this one. The first half of it seems to be pretty basic, no argument there. However, the "shew them the way where they must walk..." part deserves a closer inspection. It seems a little vague, but I take it to mean that they intend to show generally what a lawyer should do. It does seem close to removing freedom of choice, but I don't think it is. In any occupation, any calling, there is work that must be done, both literally, and in the sense of working for the greater good. If they can shew me how to do that, I have no objections.
Veritas: This appears on Harvard's seal, so it's not really unique to the law school. But I think it is quite important. Truth. Without this, why else go to school or get an education? Not only should it be an education of truth, it should be a quest for truth. Of course, the truth is a tricky situation. It isn't always pretty, and it isn't always what we want to hear. Often, it can be the hardest thing to receive. Can we really do anything but accept the truth? Food for thought: "Veritas" doesn't just appear on the buildings; since it's on Harvard's seal, it appears on apparel. Do I intend to wear "Veritas" on the outside only?
"Out of the ould fields must spring and grow the new Corne." -Sir Edward Coke. Who doesn't like old-timey English? I know I love it. But out of all the quotes and catchphrases, I think this one spoke to me the most. This is a new direction for me, a new path. I am going to be across the country next year, back in school, for three more years, and I need to grow new Corne. Is this the same as teaching an old dog new tricks? I hope not. After all, fields are turned over many times before the soil is depleted of its nutrients. And the earth can always be restored, so hope is not lost. But what will it mean for me to grow new Corne? As much as I would like to take all of my closest friends and family, everyone I love (and I hope you all know who you are!), I physically can't. And while you'll always be with me in spirit, and I fully intend on keeping in touch, I have to start over. Isn't that what this is? A new beginning? A chance to do better, for myself and for others? After all, what is the point of going to law school if I don't expect it to change me at all? I'm ready for a fresh start, for that new Corne that I've heard so much about. This ould field is too tired of the same ould headaches, the same ould drama, the same ould problems. But don't think this means good-bye to all of you wonderful people. If I'm saying good-bye to anyone, it's to the old me. I haven't a clue what sort of change awaits me; I hope it isn't too drastic, and I certainly hope it's for the better. But one thing is for sure: I'm ready for my new Corne. And if anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears.
No comments:
Post a Comment